Causes & Symptoms
What causes heartburn during pregnancy? Well, there are usually two main reasons you’re suffering:
- Hormones released in pregnancy relax the muscles that normally keep stomach acid down.
- As your bump grows, it puts increasing pressure on your oesophagus, making it more likely for heartburn to occur.
What are the symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy?
- A bloated feeling
- Burning/pain in the chest area
- Bringing up food
- Feeling sick, or vomiting
Heartburn during pregnancy is common, and the good news is that there are safe and effective treatments for it.
As an anti-systemic, Gaviscon Advance is designed to act locally in the stomach. It has the lowest sodium content of any product in the Gaviscon range, making it best suited for pregnant women.
You can also look to make lifestyle changes. Consider:
- Eating small meals rather than three big portions a day
- Watching your posture (a straight, upright back is good, especially when eating)